Whiteburn has fully restored and converted the B Listed Ashludie House into 10 apartments and 3 houses. All of the apartments share the grandeur of the Victorian entrance hall, which has a finely carved oak staircase and stained glass windows. The ground floor apartments will retain the splendour of the decorative Victorian moulded ceilings.
Ashludie House sits within grounds of mature trees and forms part of Ashludie Grange development. It has been fully brought up to the standards required to meet the needs of modern day living.
Whiteburn completed the restoration and regeneration of the former Parkview School on Blackness Road, Dundee, for which they won renovation of the Year 2015 and Small Housing Development of the Year 2016 in the Scottish Home Awards, as well as Private Development (Small) in the Homes for Scotland Awards 2017, and a commendations from the Dundee Civic Trust in 2017 and The Saltire Society in 2018
The overall former Hospital campus was acquired by Miller Homes, to deliver a mix of new build private and affordable homes. To facilitate this, the ancillary hospital buildings were demolished, including the late twentieth century wing to Ashludie House, returning it to its original composition.
The masterplan prepared by Miller Homes has retained the sweep of the original drive, giving a delightful viewpoint to Ashludie House as you approach it from the now residential street. The mature trees surrounding both the House and the overall site have been retained to provide both screening and to be sympathetic to the redevelopment of the grounds.
Living at Ashludie House will enable new owners to enjoy the features that the original Victorian industrialist owner had incorporated into the building.
Ashludie House was built in 1866 and designed by the prolific Dundee architect James MacLaren, as a country mansion house in a Jacobean style, for Alexander Gordon, a flax spinning manufacturer from Arbroath.
The carved stone initials over the portico (AG and ML) refer to Alexander Gordon and his wife Margaret Lindsay. This is also echoed within the two main reception rooms in the house in the ceilings set into the bay windows, as well as the fine stained glass window to the main common stairwell.
There is a large raised parapet with a central armorial-style carved shield of a stag with words below reading ANINO NON ASTUTIA (‘by soul not cunning’). Working with historic specialists, Whiteburn will ensure the stonework and external features will be repaired together with all internal works being undertaken to meet modern standards.
The house was clearly meant to impress with its busy Jacobean-style south elevation featuring many carved stone elements, including monograms to either side of the front door and the highly decorative ceilings to the ground floor, as well as white marble fireplaces.
Two years after the death of Alexander Gordon in 1914, the house and grounds were acquired by the Dundee Corporation who converted it into a sanatorium. Later wings were attached to the house to the north and east, and it was also joined by three tri-form hospital wards by the 1930s. The hospital slowly expanded into the mid and late 20th century serving the local community. Restructure by the NHS Tayside led to the Hospital being closed in 2014.