The Latest Development from Whiteburn Projects
Ashludie House will be brought back to life by the award winning team at Whiteburn. The B Listed merchants house, which has formed part of the Ashludie Hospital campus, will be fully restored and converted into 13 two and three bedroom apartments and houses.
Ashludie House sits within the Ashludie Grange development by Miller Homes, and forms part of the regeneration of this historic part of Monifieth.
Whiteburn intend to restore and convert B Listed Ashludie House into a mix of 10 apartments and 3 houses. The ground floor apartments will retain the splendour of the highly decorative Victorian ceilings in the principal rooms, with all the apartments sharing the common entrance hall, which has a finely carved staircase and stained glass windows.
Ashludie House sits within grounds of mature trees and will retain its setting within the overall development, with the building being brought up to the standards required to meet the needs of modern day living.
Whiteburn have recently completed the restoration and regeneration of the former Parkview School on Blackness Road, Dundee for which they won Renovation of the Year 2015 and Small Development of the Year 2016 in the Scottish Home Awards.
The History of Ashludie House
Ashludie House is a B Listed building, built in 1866 and designed by the prolific Dundee architect James MacLaren, as a country mansion house in a Jacobean style for Alexander Gordon, a flax spinning manufacturer from Arbroath.
The house was clearly meant to impress with its busy Jacobean-style south elevation featuring many carved stone elements, including monograms to either side of the front door and the highly decorative ceilings to the ground floor, as well as white marble fireplaces.
Two years after the death of Alexander Gordon in 1914, the house and grounds were acquired by the Dundee Corporation who converted it into a sanatorium. Later wings were attached to the house to the north and east, and it was also joined by three tri-form hospital wards by the 1930s. The hospital slowly expanded into the mid and late 20th century serving the local community. Restructure by the NHS Tayside led to the Hospital being closed in 2014.
The overall former Hospital campus was acquired by Miller Homes, to deliver a mix of new build private and affordable homes. To facilitate this, the ancillary hospital buildings have been demolished, including the late twentieth century wing to Ashludie House, returning it to its original composition.
The masterplan prepared by Miller Homes has retained the sweep of the original drive, giving a delightful viewpoint to Ashludie House as you approach it from the now residential street. The mature trees surrounding both the House and the overall site have been retained to provide both screening and to be sympathetic to the redevelopment of the grounds.
Living at Ashludie House will enable new owners to enjoy the features that the original Victorian industrialist owner had incorporated into the building, to personalise it to their family.
The carved stone initials over the portico (AG and ML) refer to Alexander Gordon and his wife Margaret Lindsay. This is also echoed within the two main reception rooms in the house in the ceilings set into the bay windows, as well as the fine stained glass window to the main common stairwell.
There is a large raised parapet with a central armorial-style carved shield of a stag with words below reading ANINO NON ASTUTIA (‘by soul not cunning’). Working with historic specialists, Whiteburn will ensure the stonework and external features will be repaired together with all internal works being undertaken to meet modern standards.